Thursday, May 3, 2018

Pattern diagramming is in progress

You probably remember this milkweed pod from last year. I've been working on writing up the pattern for a while now, and although it still isn't even far enough along for me to be able to tat more pods to show, I am making progress.

One of the challenges I have is presenting a 3 dimensional object as a flat diagram that people will be able to follow. What I have so far (which, naturally, I can't show yet!) will work well, I think.

I have accepted the fact that I must write it up for without beads, and with beads. If I left either version out, there'd undoubtedly be some disappointment.

Just so you know, there are a LOT of split rings. Be careful what you wish for!

This'll take a while.

5 comments:

Lavinia said...

It definitely looks like a lot of work to write up the pattern. Hmm, 3D modelling would really come in handy here, though it is more difficult to print out...

God's Kid said...

I am sure you will have it just right! :) I think it would be awful difficult to diagram a 3 dimensional item!!

muskaan said...

I don't envy you the task of diagramming a 3D pattern!
I often resort to stepwise pics where a diagram is too difficult or confusing.
I'm sure it will work out great, whatever you do. Your pattern writing is always clear and detailed.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

You lost me at split rings, but I bet Denise will tat a ton of these!

I hope we can arrange a Tollway Tatters meeting soon. This winter has been incredibly busy, and I miss my tatting buddies!

Margarets designer cards said...

I look forward to seeing your pattern, diagrams are not easy at the best of times and a 3D that's hard to do